High Country Firs

Watauga County tree farmer brings trees, wreaths, and other holiday arrangements to Raleigh City Farm.
by Catherine Currin  |  photography by Julie Leonard

Keith Chesnutt will be back this season selling Christmas trees at Raleigh City Farm. He’s been at it for six years, selling trees and handmade wreaths from Watauga county. “Growing up in the mountains of North Carolina, I knew lots of folks that grew trees,” he says. “My 8th grade basketball coach, Rob Hunt, was a small tree farmer and father of one of my close childhood friends. They always talked about how much fun it was to sell trees, so I thought I would give it a try. I called up Rob, he agreed to front me the trees, gave lots of advice, and High Country Firs was born.” Chesnutt is a recent graduate of N.C. State Veterinary School, and says he loves celebrating this time of year. “A Christmas tree or wreath symbolizes the spirit of the holiday season. It is the perfect way for friends and family to celebrate the reason for the season.” Starting November 23, you can find Chesnutt, along with his family, friends, and dog Jedd, providing Person Street with holiday spirit.  

High Country Firs will sell trees, wreaths, and other holiday arrangements at Raleigh City Farm from November 23 until inventory sells out, Monday-Thursday 3-8 p.m. and Friday-Sunday 9 a.m. — 8 p.m.