If you want to sip on something other than the traditional margarita, Chapel Hill’s Crook’s Corner has you covered. Make your own sorbet cocktail at home with the recipe below.
Waking Up In Mexico
2 medium scoops of Orange Red Hot Sorbet (recipe below)
1.5 oz Lunazul Reposado Tequila
1.5 oz Prosecco
Garnish with a thick swath of orange peel and serve!
Crook’s Corner Orange Red Hot Sorbet (yields 1 quart)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/2 cup Red Hots
1. Make an ice bath and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Add the orange juice and zest and transfer the mixture to a 1-gallon resealable freezer bag. Seal the bag and submerge it in the ice bath until completely chilled, about 20 minutes.
4. Pour the chilled sorbet base into the pre-chilled bowl of an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to churn until set, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and fold in the Red Hots. Press a sheet of parchment directly onto the surface of the sorbet. Cover the container with a lid and freeze until the sorbet is firm, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.